The Kasthurba Gandhi National Memorial Trust (K. G. N. M. T) was established in 1945 as a result of the National endeavor, lead by Mahatma Gandhi, to address the issues of women in Rural India. The unique history of India’s freedom struggle. Eminent people from all walks of life as well as the anonymous masses,mobilized their resources to set up this Trust
The Andhra Pradesh Branch of the Trust, located at Seethanagaram visited by many great people like Dr. Bapu Rajendra Prasad, Dr.S.Radhakrishnam,Shri.V.v.Giri, Pandit Jawharlal Nehru, sri Jayaprakash Narayan,Smt.Sucheta Kripalani, Shri S.N.Malvalangokar,Smt.Prem Leela thakersey, Shri Tanguturi Prakasam Pantulu, Dr.Suseela Nayyar, Smt. Lakshmi N Menon, Shri Bhogaraju Pattabhi sitaramaiah, Shri Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy, Smt. Shobhana Ranande ete….
With the blessings of the many visiting dignitaries the following activities are being organized:
- Short stay home for destitute, widows, Unmarried mothers, group raping between the age group of 15 to 35 .(CSW Board, New Delhi Grant)
- A Balwadi Center for children of 3 to 6 years.(Maintained by Trust)
- A training Institution for Tailoring & Embroidary Courses.
- An Institution coaching & making Fiber and Fancy Articles.
- Two Anganwadi Training Centre which is being run with the State Government Funds.
- Creche Centre funding by CSW Board. New Delhi.
- A Maternity and Child Welfare Center with an operation Theatre, and a twenty beded Hospital.
- Coil Yarn and Doormats Production & Training.
- Grama Sevikas
- Arggya sevikas
- Bala sevikas
- Bee Fields men
- Ambercharaka and Fibre Arisans Training
- Service Home fir Training and rehabilitation of deserted women
- Trysem Schemes in Tailoring and EMbroidary, Typewriting , Fiber and Fancy articles and Homeopathi
- Condensed Courses of C.S.W. Board for E.S.S.L.C fir adult Women
- Classes for School droupouts
- Night School for Adult
Started Centres not only at the two head quarters (Sithanagaram and Hydershakote) But also in a number of villages in the three regions (a) Rayalaseema (b) Coastal Andhra and Telangana, Such as Kasturba Maternity child Welfare Centre and Dispensary for women and children, Sithanagaram(c) Gramaseva and Arogyaseva Centres and Balwadi Cenres in a Number of Villages and orphanage home (Ananthapoor Dist.) etc.,
Like Apiaries in West and East Godavari Dist. Ambarcharka Unit, manufacturint Fiber articles, mat weaving and navar making handpound, toys, cottage soaps, Agriculre, Horticulrure and dairy were also run at Kasturba Ashram Previously.
Short Term Training :
- Occasionally short orientation and refresher’s course were conducted for Mukhya Vikas of C.S.W.Board
- Training to Organisers Women welfare Department
- Grama Sevikas of Community Development
- Spinners Training camps of KVIC(Telangana Dt)
- Demonstation of Japaneese method cultivation for special officers and ryots of the coastal districts
- Annual Refresher’s Course for Trust Village Workers etc.
Special Services :
The Programmes undertaken by the Organisation over the span of Five and a half decades followed these considerations.
- Propagating and getting constructed septic latrines in villages and Magan Chulas and Gobar Gas Installations.
- Anti Cholera Propaganda and treatment and nursing of patients at Sithanagaram and surrounding villages during floods in the year 1953.
- Famine relief work at Ankisettipalli, Chittor District.
- Service Victim of Tidal Wave in Diviseema, Guntur and Baptla during 1977
- Succor and Rehabilitaion to victims of fire Accident at Muggulla near Seethanagaram in 1979 May.
- Service victim of cyclone and Floods at Vamsadhara, Srikakulam District in the year 1980.
- Service victims of Godavari Floods in Seethanagaram and near by villages in the year 1983 and 1986.
- Service to Victims of Cyclone relief work at Konaseema area in the year 1996.
- Padayatras in villages propagating prohibition and Stree Shakti Jagaran, Untochability , Social evils like child marriage dowry, personal cleanliness, surrounding cleanliness, irradication, vaccination, Prenatal – Antinatal Care, Female Fetal disterbence, Hepatities B. Vaccine importance, Pulse polio, HIV/Aids etc.
- Family welfare camps for village women.
- Eye Camps – Tubectomy and Vasactomy Camps, Free Medical camps on various deseases.
- Immunisation and Health Programmes in villages.
- Women and Social status constitutional rights.
- Economic opportunities employment in economic role of women for the country.
- Gandhian philosophy, health education, Nutrition Food preservation community life etc..
- Regular meetings are convened and facilitated to educate the women on their rights and examples of leadership are given in the discussions. Emphaisis in an women to know their rights. Compaigns of
- Anti dowry
- Anti Alcohol / Arac
- Anti child marriage and
- Pro widow marriages etc.